February 11, 2010

L/D --- 01/21/2010

Aired January 21st, 2010

**Plastic Crimewave Sound -Bad Politics- 7-inch HoZac Records (2009)
New record out now and still available through
Hozac. The lurch going on here coupled with the vocals reminds me a little bit of early Jesus & Mary Chain - though with a bit more of a heavy trad rock vibe going on. Pretty damn rad!
**Death -You’re A Prisoner- …For The Whole World To See LP Drag City Records (2009)

Dug out from 1975 Detriot - nice! There are some cuts on this album that I think could have been passed on, though overall pretty hoppin record. More information about 'Death' can be found here.
**Destroy All Monsters -You’re Gonna Die- 7-inch IDBI Records (1978)
Following up one out of the blue, fairly unknown Detriot proto-punk band with another of sorts - though a better known classic; especially a must know for young and older ladies alike who are into this sort of music. Not a ton of women were in this scene, so to find them involved in bands during this era (a really great band for that matter) is especially exciting. More intimate info regarding this group's history can be found here. They have done a few reunion shows as I understand and even started putting out records again come '95 - haven't checked out much of their later stuff except for the single (circa '96) that carries 'Detroit Rock City' - definitely one of my favorites - may give it a spin in an upcoming show.
**Ozzie -Android Love- 7-inch Make Me Records (1977)
Rad track by a Sacramento legendary band - well, sort of. Few folks I think know much about this band. Fortunately S-S Records is working to make their material more available to all....check the S-S Records site for future details.
**The Pop -Ad Man- S/T LP Automatic Records (1977)

Hilarious track by this L.A. group that as far as I can tell was trying hard to make it big - kind of typical power pop sort of gig - though this track in particular is goofy enough to make it appealing. This is a track that I would expect to hear the likes of DJ Todd to throw down on Hometown Atrocities. Here's some history on The Pop if you're interested in learning more.
**Magazine -The Light Pours Out of Me- Real Life LP Virgin Records (1978)

I have to admit that I haven't listened much to Magazine over the years - though when I do check them out for a cut, I'm always pleased with what I find - this first album in particular is quite appealing in most regards. Information on this legendary British band can be found here.
**The Buzzcocks -Why Can’t I Touch It?- Singles Going Steady LP I.R.S. Records (1978)

This track has caused me to re-fall in love with the Buzzcocks (not that I was ever out of love with them in the first place...). So, I was recently checking out this corny as fuck '80s bobby comedy all about this fellow who can't get none. Breakthrough - he figures out a potion to make himself a babe magnet - irresistible to all ladies. So in the best scene of the movie - during a sexual parade through the ladies dorms - this song is used. The whole time I'm watching I can't stop thinking about how rad this song is, how familiar it sounded, yet I couldn't connect it. Low and behold during the credits we come to find out its the Buzzcocks - OF COURSE!....since then I've had this song going on repeat in my noggin. Rad song and actually a pretty rad movie - The Party Animal. Check it if you dig, and also if you do not mind misogynistic, 'B' level comedies from the '80s. To be completely honest I was totally rooting for Pondo by the end of the film.
**George Brigman -(T.S.)- Jungle Rot LP Anopheles Records (2005)

Fun instrumental number circa 1975 on Anopheles Records - a label run by a legendary former KDVS DJ. For more information on George Brigman, go here.
**Henry Flynt -Raga Electric- Raga Electric LP Locust Records (2009)

Weird un here coming out of 1973. Unfortunately I do not know much about this Mr. Flynt fellow. In reading a little he seems to be an intellectual of sorts who has been associated at times with Fluxus. After hearing Raga Electric I will most definitely be exploring more of his material for future programs. More information on this fellow can be found here.
**Doug Snyder & Bob Thompson -Soul & Universe- Daily Dance LP Cantor Records (2009)

Another weird un coming off of a recent re-issue - originally came out on a private-press label from 1973. For some info/history go here.
**Moon Duo -Winter- One Sided 12-inch LP Holiday Compilation Sacred Bones Records (2009)

Won't provide links for this record cause I don't think it can be bought from the label - as I understand this record was a special holiday gift that was given out to friends and loyalists of Sacred Bones. Nice gift to say the least - good incentive to keep up on the SB catalog.
**Dan Melchior’s Broke Revue -O’Clouds Unfold!- O’Clouds Unfold! 2xLP Hook or Crook Records (2009)
Title track - favorite track off this album.


Listen HeRe

No comments:

Post a Comment